Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Strobed Remote Camera

Today I had the chance to do something I normally would not do. I strobed my remote camera.

Normally, I would be shooting with one camera and triggering the remote camera and strobes via a Pocket Wizard mounted on my hand-held camera. With this set-up the remote camera fires 1/2000th of a second after the strobes so, this requires me to set the remote camera manually to available light. But, today I did not shoot with my hand-held camera so, I was able to try shooting in relay mode with the Pocket Wizards. To do this a total of 3 remotes are needed. (In my case 6 because 4 are attached to strobes). What i did was the strobes are set to channel 1 (they are mounted in the ceiling so are not able to be changed.) And the PW mounted to the remote camera was attached to the hot shoe and a cable attached to the camera's remote was set to channel 4. The PW used to fire the remote camera was also set to channel 4.

In relay mode the remote camera fires ~1/2000th of a second later and the PW attached to the camera's hotshoe will than relay a signal via the next higher channel (channel 1 in this case). Now the remote camera and strobes will fire simultaneously to capture a strobed image.

To strobe both the hand-held camera and the remote camera this would require a total of 8 strobes and 10 Pocket Wizards. But, the remote camera would still be firing ~1/2000 of second later but, now all the images would be strobed.

No comments: