Sunday, November 2, 2008

Net-Cam Denied

I traveled to Milford, CT to shoot an away game for West Point and had my net-cam almost all set up for their game against Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart plays in a public arena and I had the OK from the rink, Sacred Heart's SID and coach. I, as always, let the officials know it would be in the net. About 5 minutes later the officials called me back and after they talked about it, said I needed to take it out. They had not heard of this being done in this league. The SID for Army got the OK from the league commissioner prior to me setting it up for the season. Long story short the ref's did not like the idea of a camera being in the net with-out written permission from the league.

After some conversation with the 2 schools SID's and the coaches, the ref said I could leave the camera in the goal but, he (the main ref) was not happy about it. So, in doing what I think is the right thing, I pulled the set-up out. Monday I will be seeking written permission from the league offices, being the league has already giving verbal ok. This is just one more step I need to take.

I know I could have left it in the goal but, I know I will be shooting games with these ref's at some other time. So, I don't want them to be on my bad side.

3 comments:

CMR photography said...

Hey Dave,
Maybe they were just upset cause they see you photograph football ref's and havn't seen any hockey ref shots ;)

CSI: Photo said...

LOL I got hockey ref's in there

Jim, "Homer" said...

I think you made the best choice in this situation. As a sport shooter I know that the ref's / umpires need to be kept happy. We will see them again and they will remember.

Still a bummer that the net cam wasn't in place. Oh well, next time.